I remember it like yesterday, even though it happened when i saw just about 6 going on 7.
My mum, God bless her soul had the habit of checking my panties whenever it was bath time, especially at night.
God help me, if i had stains on it, i would have to explain where my bum-bum had been; so i was very weary and careful as a child in ensuring my panties were particularly clean.
But on this day, my panties had stains. It was quite worrisome as I took mental notes of where i had been. Did i pee in someplace? Biodun i was just 6 and i was gravely worried what mommy would say.
I couldn't explain myself out of it , so i decided to play smart: keep the panties in the laundry bag before she saw me, but she caught me.
"bring your pant" she said.
I was shaking like a leaf when I handed it over to her. Her eyes flew open when she saw the stains,she sniffed it and said:
"explain"
I was silent, starring at her helplessly until 2 resounding slaps from her jolted me out of my temporary dumbness; i couldn't explain the stains myself.
"is your bum bum paining you?" she asked. I shook my head.
She put a dress on me and off we went to see a doctor friend. I can never forget that man; he was her friend's husband and instead of acting professional, he put me on a hospital table and with a ruler in hand, asked me where my bum-bum had been, each time a stroke of ruler hitting my thigh or butt.
I kept saying I did nothing and after 25 mins of smacking without me saying what he wanted to hear, he told mum to take me home and make me sit in warm water and salt solution because it looked like an infection.
I am sure mother was convinced, there was more to story, so she summoned for BROS Gbengene, (the compound's disciplinarian), he took his long cane and asked that I be lifted by my brothers. The cane came crashing down on my bare skin: back, butts, thighs. the beating continue when i saw after almost 37 strokes and been constantly asked to confess, I decided it was better I confessed to this imaginary sin or die from this beating, so I confessed.
i told the story of how i had been fooling around with a boy named Joseph in school, (Please note i was in primary 2).
I came up with a grand story of how we would meet after school and he put play with my bum-bum.
The beating stopped and my mother descended on me again, this time Bros Gbengene had to pull her away.
She was advised to counsel me but take me to the school tomorrow to report and then hospital.
I was a colossal wreck when we got to school as she lamented how she was a single mum raising me. The headmistress summoned for Joseph, only there was no Joseph in the whole school, only a Josephine in primary 2, who was confirmed by all to be my only friend.
You see I had to make up the name Joseph from Josephine.
We left school for the hospital, a proper one this time, the doctor did a swab test and told us to come back the next day. surviving that day meant i had to stay invisible.
The next day just before we went to the hospital, mummy sat me down and with a large scissors chopped off my very very long hair.
Her reason:
"maybe if i reduced your beauty, you will not be fooling around."
At the doctor asked just one question:
"madam, do you share anything with your daughter"
She said : " we share a towel"
The doc asked again: "madam do share convenience at home or at work"
again my mother replied: she shared convenience at work.
The doctor told her he needed to take a swab sample form her..
Her swab results finally came and the doctor in very clear words that I will never forget, he told her she gave me the infection. Something she picked up from the loo, maybe at work and since we shared the same towel, I contacted it.
Wow, what a relief. But I had the scars all over my back, face, arms and a badly barbered hair. Mum of course still believed there was a Joseph and made sure to taunt me daily for it.
Years passed, many years, I sat with my mum on a dark night, as we reminisced over our lives, I told her about that incident and told her what she made me do. She wept in regret and apologised. I don't think I ever held it against her, but I'm glad we talk , because she passed on not long after.
Biodun, i had asked my self, why my mother did that to me. I know she loved me dearly, but you see, she was only practicing what my father did to her( that is a story for another day), unfortunately that incident has left me an indelible scar.
I am married now with kids; i worry about my girls too. I find myself checking their underwear, but quickly stop myself so I am not driven to continue this craziness.
i just thought to share.
CULLED from WHISPERS
Feel free to share
that experience that
left you with you INDELIBLE SCAR.
Feel free to share
that experience that
left you with you INDELIBLE SCAR.


No comments:
Post a Comment